A staple in Puerto Rican cuisine, combining the rich savory Caribbean flavors in a single dish.
Arroz con Pollo
Beautifully simple all-in-one pot recipe.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thigh 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp adobo
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 oz salt pork coarsley diced
- 2 oz cured ham julienned
- 1 tomato diced
- 3 tbsp sofrito
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 stuffed Spanish olives
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 packet sazon with achiote
- 3 cups white rice
- 1 pound peas
- 4 oz pimientos
- Mix lime juice with adobo seasoning
- Wash, then rub chicken with adobo seasoning mixed with fresh lime juice and set in refrigerator over night
- In a large caldero, heat vegetable oil then add salt pork and cubed ham; brown then add chicken and heat on moderate heat for 5 minutes
- Reduce heat, add sofrito and diced tomato then saute chicken and pork for 15 minutes; stirring occasionally
- In a separate pot, bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a low boil
- In the pot with the chicken and ham mixture, stir in salt, Spanish Olives, capers tomato sauce, sazon with achiote seasoning and white rice and then slowly stir in the boiling water.
- Cook over moderate heat until rice is dry
- Turn rice, from bottom to top (do not stir contents to mix)
- Cover caldero, reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Add peas and pimientos (with the liquid from the can); turn rice one last time then cook for 15 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.
As a time saver, cook rice in rice cooker then add cooked white rice to chicken and ham mixture, then mix remaining ingredients with a cup of hot water and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until ingredients are well mixed and rice is a pinkish-red color from the tomato sauce and sazon with achiote seasoning. To add some more diverse flavoring, sausage can be added or substituted for salt pork and ham.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 3460mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g
Arroz con Pollo
Amount Per Serving
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.