Puerto Rican Beef Stew
The variations on this staple are limitless. Variations include substituting pumpkin for potatoes, etc.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef round trimmed, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp sofrito
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup toamto sauce
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 pound carrots cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 12 stuffed Spanish olives
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 pound peas
- 1/2 pound potatoes peeled, washed and cubed
- Heat vegetable oil in large caldero
- Add beef to caldero, stirring occasionally
- Once beef is browned, add sofrito, vinegar, oregano, tomato sauce, bay leaves and salt. Stir to blend ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, bring to a boil then add carrots; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour bring to a boil then add potatoes, olives and capers; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until meat is fork tender.
- Once meat is tender, stir in peas and season to taste.
Calories: 411kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 39gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1903mgPotassium: 982mgFiber: 5gSugar: 8g