Very simple, crunchy treat served with any number of traditional or nontraditional dipping sauces; garlic aioli, Mojito sauce, guacamole or every kids favorite…ketchup.
Servings 4 people
- 3 Green Plantains
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut ends off and peel plantains
- Slice plantains at a 45 degree angle into 1 1/2" to 2 inch slices
- Fry the slices in vegetable oil until soft
- Take soft tostones out of oil, place on paper towel
- Using a tostonera, flatten plantains and fry plantains again until crispy around the edges
- Take crispy tostones out of oil, place on paper towel and lightly salt
Aside from serving as a dippable, salty-sweet treat, these plantain fritters can be shaped into cups to hold any number of other fillings.Fill with the picadillo from empanadas, with Mofongo or with cream cheese topped with a sweet mango preserves. Also, can be used as layers of tiny portions of savory pernil or salchichon and cheese.